lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <>
Subject Re: Facet examples javadoc missing in 4.0?
Date Sat, 24 Nov 2012 19:24:54 GMT
On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Shai Erera <> wrote:

> Uwe, it's a good question :). The javadocs aren't that rich, and the
> lucene-facet-examples.jar is created with the source code anyway ...
> Robert, I don't know maven enough but I do see this in
> maven/lucene/facet/pom.xml.template:
>             <configuration>
>               <sources>
>                 <source>${module-path}/src/examples</source>
>               </sources>
>             </configuration>
> Does it mean that it's ok?

That may be ok in this particular example, but having this all in
src/examples causes all kinds of questions.

Do these files all contain apache license headers? I have no idea: because
it has source code in a special place probably ignored by rat tasks.
Will the examples work on any system regardless of its locale? I have no
idea: its source is in a special place probably ignored by forbidden-api

And the list goes on and on.

These are the reasons why I proposed a long time ago to remove the special
case of lucene/src/demo and just make it an "ordinary module" with respect
to the build system: otherwise it causes lots of bugs which always happened
at release time.

Finally for examples, it makes sense for them to be in the demo module
anyway, as its configured in a special way to -linksource the examples into
its javadocs, so that we can freely link to the precise versioned source
code in that release (rather than things like svn locations, etc).

View raw message