lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Failing tests aka. "what's the point of running them?"
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2012 12:53:29 GMT
On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 5:36 AM, Simon Willnauer
<simon.willnauer@gmail.com> wrote:
> hey folks,
>
> I know yonik and mark had a long time power outage so I don't want to
> blame anybody here but we need to fix those test failures.
> Really when you look at those jenkins jobs:
>
> http://jenkins.sd-datasolutions.de/job/Lucene-Solr-trunk-Windows/
> http://jenkins.sd-datasolutions.de/job/Lucene-Solr-4.x-Linux/
> https://builds.apache.org/computer/lucene/
> https://builds.apache.org/job/Lucene-Solr-NightlyTests-4.x/
>
> its really funny if that'd be a joke but it isn't. If I'd be a new
> contributor I'd be scared as sh** when I subscribe to the mailing
> list. It's also not a good advertisement for us either. Yet, even
> further it makes me miss failures I might have caused since the amount
> of failure mails don't encourage to look at them since its the same
> tests that fail over and over again no matter what code I commit. I
> can already hear somebody saying "why don't you fix it" - well fair
> enough but this project is massive and we are a large committer base
> and I don't see myself fix the code I have never ever touched. Anyhow,
> I really ask myself what is the point of running these tests,
> specifically the solr ones, if the fail over and over again and nobody
> cares?

I want to know if anybody is even looking at the test failures.

At some point I began filtering solr test failures to my email spam
folder via 3 gmail rules. I don't run solr tests locally anymore
either because of the huge false failure rate.

I have to do these things because I don't want to miss lucene failures
in the noise of this stuff.

For now I disabled the solr tests in jenkins jobs. This shouldnt be
controversial: they havent passed in over 15 days.