lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Facet examples javadoc missing in 4.0?
Date Sat, 24 Nov 2012 18:39:05 GMT
On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Shai Erera <serera@gmail.com> wrote:

> You're probably right. The thing is, some facet tests rely on the data
> that exists in the facet examples. The reason is that the examples already
> contain some large number of documents and facets, so it was easy to test
> certain features (I think TotalFacetCounts) with large set of documents,
> without duplicating the information.
>
> Is it necessary, probably not, but that's the current state of affairs. I
> tend to agree that facet examples should be under demo/. It's just that I'm
> not willing to lose facet (core) tests, or otherwise, the facet tests would
> need to depend on demo  ... is it bad?
>
> Really, currently the facet examples build are half broken. The
> facet/build.xml takes care to generate the facet-examples.jar, compile them
> and test them. The only piece that was removed, from what I can tell by
> accident, are the javadocs ...
>
> You know that I always prefer to get to a consensus before opening an
> issue, but I want to get this fixed. It was my mistake that I didn't notice
> that when inspecting the 4.0 artifacts .. a mistake which probably
> demonstrates why it would be better if it were under demo/. But it doesn't
> mean that until we resolve LUCENE-3998 (if we resolve it), the examples
> javadocs should be missing from the build.

I think it should be fixed too. But lets do the work to fix it right,
otherwise the bug will resurface again and again.
There is no failure in LUCENE-3998: I just did some of the work and stopped
when I ran out of time.

Lets fix it correctly and avoid hacks. Otherwise its impossible to know
really that the release artifacts for facets are correct.