lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Optimize facets when actually single valued?
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2012 13:46:47 GMT
On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 11:41 PM, Toke Eskildsen <te@statsbiblioteket.dk> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-11-13 at 19:50 +0100, Yonik Seeley wrote:
>> The original version of Solr (SOLAR when it was still inside CNET) did
>> this - a multiValued field with a single value was output as a singe
>> value, not an array containing a single value.  Some people wanted
>> more predictability (always an array or never an array).
>
> So there are two very different issues with this optimization:
>
> Under the hood, it looks like a win. The single value field cache is
> better performing (speed as well as memory) than the uninverted field.
> There's some trickery with index updates as re-use of structures gets
> interesting when all segments has been delivering single value and a
> multi-value segment is introduced.

this isn't tricky. in solr these structures are top-level (on top of
SlowMultiReaderWrapper).

> Dynamically changing response formats sounds horrible.

I don't understand how this is related with my proposal to
automatically use a different data structure behind the scenes.

The optimization I am talking about is safe and simple and no user
would have any idea.