lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Compressed stored fields and multiGet(sorted luceneId[])?
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2012 10:30:24 GMT
Why are you retrieving thousands of stored fields?

I don't think we should add such an API: stored fields shouldn't be
used like that, only for things like summary results, so the
possibility of two documents being in the same block is not so high
anyway.

And i think the api to stay the way it is (simple visitor) to
encourage the fact that people shouldnt use stored fields for
"processing".

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 2:56 AM, eksdev <eksdev@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Just a theoretical question, would it make sense to add some sort of StoredDocument[]
bulkGet(int[] docId) to fetch multiple stored documents in one go?

> The reasoning behind is that now with compressed blocks random-access gets more expensive,
and in some cases  a user  needs to fetch more documents in one go. If it happens that more
documents come from one block it is a win. I would also assume, even without compression ,
bulk access on sorted docIds cold be a win (sequential access)?

> Does that make sense, is it doable? Or even worse, does it already exist :)
>
> By the way, I am impressed how well compression does, even on really short stored documents,
approx. 150b  we observe 35% reduction. Fetching 1000 short documents on fully cached index
 is observably slower (2-3 times), but as soon as you memory gets low, compression wins quickly.
Did not test it thoroughly, but looks good so far. Great job!