lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Merge DocsEnum and DocsAndPositionsEnum into PostingsEnum
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2012 22:00:54 GMT
+1, this makes total sense!

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Uwe Schindler <uwe@thetaphi.de> wrote:
>> +1, I think PostingsEnum ist he much better idea! I was thinking about that several
times. In fact DocsEnum is just a specialized DocIdSetIterator, so I never understood the
difference in the early Lucene 4 days. Now we have some extra methods, but most of them are
optional and a PostingsEnum extends DocIdSetIterator (I would like to have *implements* more...)
is perfectly fine for all those use cases. And as both Scorer and PostingsEnum extend the
same base class, this makes code reuseable and looking identical in lots of cases (like simple
Filters). A filter for a Term could directly return the PostingsEnum for this term in getDocIdSet()...