lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Willnauer <simon.willna...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Git mirror
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2012 09:16:31 GMT
On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM, David Smiley (@MITRE.org)
<DSMILEY@mitre.org> wrote:
> Simon,
> Your response confuses me.
>
> "3. pull into trunk only from upstream"
>
> Do you mean a local branch "trunk", and coming from apache?

yeah

> "... and push to github"
>
> What; you can push to github's mirror?  I thought it was read-only?

I push into my own repo there what I cloned before from lucene/solr

> And do you mind telling me/us how you take a change you commit to trunk and
> back-port to 4x (assuming no conflicts) with git?  With svn it involves an
> "svn merge" on 4x referencing my commit revision on trunk.  I know my
> question is academic for normal git but this git svn double-mirror setup is
> odd.

I have a small tool that does all this for me. its manual but quick:
git diff trunk > p.patch && patchSvnTrunk < p.patch && ant precommit
test .....
sorry but that is what I do and its quick. :)

I get all the goodness from git and for commits I move to SVN.

> Any way... seeing you guys use git as committers is encouraging as I thought
> the git side simply is too 2nd class citizen for Lucene/Solr to be effective
> for committers.  Guess not.  I'll have to do what Simon's doing.  Woohoo!
> Hopefully it's okay to post git patches to JIRA instead of subversions's;

I post git patches all the time!

> I've heard of incompatibility issues but if it's my issue then I'm the one
> committing any way so I guess it won't usually be a problem.
incompatible with what?