lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Willnauer <simon.willna...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Merge DocsEnum and DocsAndPositionsEnum into PostingsEnum
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2012 20:26:06 GMT
hey folks,

I have spend a hell lot of time on the positions branch to make
positions and offsets working on all queries if needed. The one thing
that bugged me the most is the distinction between DocsEnum and
DocsAndPositionsEnum. Really when you look at it closer DocsEnum is a
DocsAndFreqsEnum and if we omit Freqs we should return a DocIdSetIter.
Same is true for
DocsAndPostionsAndPayloadsAndOffsets*YourFancyFeatureHere*Enum. I
don't really see the benefits from this. We should rather make the
interface simple and call it something like PostingsEnum where you
have to specify flags on the TermsIterator and if we can't provide the
sufficient enum we throw an exception?
I just want to bring up the idea here since it might simplify a lot
for users as well for us when improving our positions / offset etc.
support.

thoughts? Ideas?

simon