lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Rowe <sar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Active 4.x branches?
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2012 15:05:55 GMT
Per,

The standard way to develop in Lucene and Solr is against trunk, then backport to the stable
branch (currently branch_4x), and then to any applicable bugfix branches if such branches
are expected to be released.  (If a change is too radical for the stable branch, it will of
course not be backported.)

About maintaining documentation and your putting in effort there: I agree with Mark Miller's
characterization of people who become committers: first they act like committers (e.g. taking
responsibility for things they think are important; working with other community members to
reach agreement; sustained substantial contributions; etc.), then PMC member(s) take note
and make them a committer.

Don't get hung up waiting for a committer to contribute, especially in documentation - in
fact people new to the process are uniquely positioned to recognize gaps here - there is a
lot you can do without commit rights.

Steve

On Nov 27, 2012, at 9:41 AM, Per Steffensen <steff@designware.dk> wrote:

> Steve Rowe skrev:
>> Hi Per,
>>

> Hi Steve
>
> Thanks a lot for answering so quickly!
>> Have you seen <http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/HowToContribute>
>>  ?
>>

> Yep, quickly. I found no information there.
>> I don't think the current development branches are listed anywhere, but this doesn't
change very often.  Feel free to add info to the above wiki page.

> I could add information, but it will not be worth much if it isnt maintained whenever
branch-purposes change. Since I am not a part of the core Solr/Lucene team I dont think I
should be the one to maintain it, and if no one from the core team agrees to maintain it,
it is probably not worth adding it after all.
commit stuff.  See <http://lucene.apache.org/core/discussion.html>
>> .
>>

> Already did
>> 4.0.1 development: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/branches/lucene_solr_4_0/
>>
>> 4.1 development:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/branches/branch_4x/
>>

> Thanks, I expected this, just wanted confirmation
>> Note that a 4.0.1 release is looking pretty unlikely, because no-one has done the
work to backport bugfixes committed on branch_4x/ to lucene_solr_4_0/.  If someone were to
do the work, though, such a release could happen.

> Hmmm I would expect that whenever you commit a patch you do it either to branch_4x or
lucene_solr_4_0, after you have considered if the patch needs to be in 4.0.1 or if it can
wait for 4.1. Then merging changes on lucene_solr_4_0 to branch_4x once in a while, and certainly
before releasing 4.1. I wouldnt expect backports from branch_4x to lucene_solr_4_0 to be necessary,
since the patches committed to branch_4x should be put there deliberately, because it was
decided that it did not belong in 4.0.1.