lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject Re: Source Control
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2012 12:19:26 GMT
On Sat, 2012-10-27 at 01:02 +0200, Mark Miller wrote:
> What are peoples thoughts about moving to git?

Speaking as a contributor without commit rights and with very little
interest in build systems and versioning control, my experience with
Lucene hacking so far has had a few technical annoyances:

- It is hard to collaborate on a patch, internally in my organization as
well as externally

- Local backups, independent of SVN, are needed to be sure not to loose
code in case of crashes

- Patching a dormant patch is confusing at it very quickly gets hard to
keep track of which version is current: There is no versioning control
for the patches, except for trivial timestamps

- When a patch is created against trunk and the JIRA issue is revisited
some time later, chances are that the interfaced Lucene/Solr-code has
changed. To apply the patch, one needs to hunt down the SVN tag that the
patch was generated against

What I would like to see is something like GitHub, where everyone can
easily fork the code, share it and just point to it in the JIRA issue.
A read-only git (or another distributed versioning system) repository
alone would only solve the first two problems and then only if I had a
place to make a public repository (which admittedly is easy enough with
GitHub et al).

- Toke Eskildsen, State and University Library, Denmark