lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: ant precommit; annoyed with "checkout is dirty"
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2012 18:33:38 GMT
Hi David,

there are actually 2 reasons for this check:
- It prevents that you forget to add files before committing. We had this quite often, causing
unbuildable sources and Jenkins failures.
- Prevent test cases from leaving files around at wrong places. This was the original idea
behind the task, now obsoleted by the SecurityManager installed by the test-framework. Lots
of Solr tests did not set the working directory correctly and started to write files into
the src/ (!!!) folder. The check was added, so Jenkins could complain about those problems.
This is now solved in a better way, but the check is still good for non-tests. The installed
SecurityManager with a very strict security profile prevents wrong-behaving test - a test
that writes files outside the build directory will fail with a SecurityException (raised on
fileopen with write/append).

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler