lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1397332 - in /lucene/cms/trunk/content: core/corenews.mdtext mainnews.mdtext solr/solrnews.mdtext
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2012 23:35:21 GMT

: I did this before because of how this mirror-redirector works. the
: news items for old releases are actually broken in a confusing way.

I think you and i have had this disagreement before.

You think it's bad that someone who finds that link and follows it will
get sent to a *differnet* version then what they thought.  i think it's
good because it helps people who may be under the misconception about
what the *newest* version version discover that there is something better
then they might have thought.

I would rather deal with the extremely rare situation of someone who asks
on the mailing list "How do i download old version X.Y" by poiting them to
hte archive; then risk folks who don't know any better downloading an old
release w/o realizing there is something newer they should be using.

-Hoss