lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1397332 - in /lucene/cms/trunk/content: core/corenews.mdtext mainnews.mdtext solr/solrnews.mdtext
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2012 22:14:35 GMT
We can do it this way (esp. since you did all the work), a different
way i had thought about it was:

when we released the BETA, the notes were incomplete so i kept the
ALPHA stuff too.

for this one my idea was to just blow away ALPHA and BETA completely
there and just have our full 4.0 release notes (which are cumulative
but also have the nice section for people that were testing BETA).

which are highlighted below.  The release is available for immediate download at: <a href="/core/mirrors-core-latest-redir.html?">http://lucene.apache.org/core/mirrors-core-latest-redir.html</a>
> : +
> : +See the <a href="/core/4_0_0/changes/Changes.html">CHANGES.txt</a> file
included with the release for a full list of details.
> : +
> : +Noteworthy changes since 4.0-BETA:
> : +
> : +* A new "Block" PostingsFormat offering improved search performance and index compression.
This will likely become the default format in a future release.
> : +* All non-default codec implementations were moved to a separated codecs module. Just
add lucene-codecs-4.0.0.jar to your classpath to test these out.
> : +* Payloads can be optionally stored on the term vectors.
> : +* Many bugfixes and optimizations.
> : +
> :  ## 13 August 2012 - Lucene Core 4.0-BETA
> :
> :  Apache Lucene is a high-performance, full-featured text search engine
> :
> : Modified: lucene/cms/trunk/content/mainnews.mdtext
> : ==============================================================================
> : --- lucene/cms/trunk/content/mainnews.mdtext (original)
> : +++ lucene/cms/trunk/content/mainnews.mdtext Thu Oct 11 22:03:23 2012
> : @@ -1,5 +1,26 @@
> :  # News
> :
> : +## 12 October 2012 - Lucene Core 4.0 and Solr 4.0 Available
> : +
> : +The Lucene PMC is pleased to announce the availability of Apache Lucene 4.0 and Apache
Solr 4.0.
and Solr can be downloaded from <a href="/solr/mirrors-solr-latest-redir.html">http://lucene.apache.org/solr/mirrors-solr-latest-redir.html</a>
> : +
> : +Noteworthy changes since Lucene 4.0-BETA:
> : +
> : +* A new "Block" PostingsFormat offering improved search performance and index compression.
This will likely become the default format in a future release.
> : +* All non-default codec implementations were moved to a separated codecs module. Just
add lucene-codecs-4.0.0.jar to your classpath to test these out.
> : +* Payloads can be optionally stored on the term vectors.
> : +* Many bugfixes and optimizations.
> : +
> : +Noteworthy changes since Solr 4.0-BETA:
> : +
> : +* New spatial field types with polygon support.
> : +* Various Admin UI improvements.
> : +* SolrCloud related performance optimizations in writing the the transaction log,
PeerSync recovery, Leader election, and ClusterState caching.
> : +* Numerous bug fixes and optimizations.
> : +
> : +
> :  ##14 August 2012 - Lucene Core 4.0-BETA and Solr 4.0-BETA Available
> :
> :  The Lucene PMC is pleased to announce the availability
> :
> : Modified: lucene/cms/trunk/content/solr/solrnews.mdtext
> : ==============================================================================
> : --- lucene/cms/trunk/content/solr/solrnews.mdtext (original)
> : +++ lucene/cms/trunk/content/solr/solrnews.mdtext Thu Oct 11 22:03:23 2012
> : @@ -1,5 +1,23 @@
> :  # Solr News
> :
> : +## 12 October 2012 - Apache Solr 4.0 Available
> : +
> : +The Lucene PMC is pleased to announce the release of Apache Solr 4.0.
> : +
> : +Solr is the popular, blazing fast, open source NoSQL search platform from the Apache
Lucene project. Its major features include powerful full-text search, hit highlighting, faceted
search, dynamic clustering, database integration, rich document (e.g., Word, PDF) handling,
and geospatial search.  Solr is highly scalable, providing fault tolerant distributed search
and indexing, and powers the search and navigation features of many of the world's largest
internet sites.