lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@cs.put.poznan.pl>
Subject Re: [JENKINS] Lucene-Solr-trunk-Windows (64bit/jdk1.7.0_07) - Build # 1370 - Still Failing!
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2012 20:03:41 GMT
Sorry for chiming in a bit late, Alan --

> I think these failures must be related to the metrics I added in SOLR-1972, which use
static fields.  I'm not sure why, though, as the objects involved should be pretty small.

it's very likely that something indirectly reachable from that
reference holds to a Thread instance; from there it gets nasty because
of thread locals etc.

> Is there a way of getting a more detailed breakdown of which classes/objects are using
the memory?

Yes and no. You could dump it with a method like this one:
https://github.com/dweiss/java-sizeof/blob/master/src/main/java/com/carrotsearch/sizeof/ObjectTree.java#L31

but it typically is pretty noisy -- that's why I decided not to
include it by default. Use @BeforeClass and @AfterClass to clean up
static fields; this is what these hooks are for. Arguably, if you
leave statics around they're indeed a potential memory leak.

Dawid