lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Willnauer <simon.willna...@gmail.com>
Subject LUCENE-2878 aka. positions branch
Date Sun, 28 Oct 2012 09:43:35 GMT
hey folks,

alan and myself cleaned up the positions branch to get it ready for
reintegration into trunk. I'm kindly asking everybody who as interest
in this feature or has strong feelings about APIs to help us out
reviewing the apis and straighten out the feature on the issue. We are
in a pretty good shape so far where all core queries support positions
(except MultiPhraseQuery that still needs support and throws a UOE at
this point but I personally don't think this should hold us off from
mergeing to trunk).
We have a highlighter that supports this feature and several Position
based filtering queries. The main package here is
org.apache.lucene.search.intervals with reasonable documentation (I
hope) and references to the paper that it is based on.
Currently the main API changes compared to trunk are on Scorer and
Weight APIs since we are now passing down PostingsFlags to scorer to
specify if we need positions or pos + offsets for query execution. The
feature doesn't have any implication on query performance since it is
totally optional and can be pulled lazily even if positions are
requested.

I would be happy if some more people could take a look and give their opinion.

simon