lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Are the Solr BCD field types still supported?
Date Sun, 28 Oct 2012 20:11:33 GMT
I was going through the Solr field types and ran across the “BCD” field types. They are
not mentioned in the Solr Schema wiki and have no Javadoc. Are they really supported anymore?
Should they be deprecated? They are NOT marked as “legacy” field types.

If they are to be supported, will anybody add doc for them?? As hossman comments on SOLR-2935:
“(FYI: As someone who has never even remotely understood the point of the BCD*Field classes,
I left those docs blank)”

See:

I could guess why there are there, but with the newer trie fields, they seem an unnecessary
holdover.

I have a slightly similar question about support for the “ByteField” and “ShortField”
field type. I mean, if it wasn’t important enough to include trie field types for them,
are they really needed/supported anymore? They also are NOT marked as “legacy” field types.
They are not on the schema wiki or in the example schema either.

-- Jack Krupansky