lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Source Control
Date Sun, 28 Oct 2012 15:51:50 GMT
On 10/28/2012 11:09 AM, Alan Woodward wrote:
> We have an official git mirror for the project, though - git.apache.org/lucene-solr.
 So if people want to use git to collaborate, they can clone that repository and create branches
there.

> I much prefer git to svn - I use staged adds, rebases and stashes all the time - but
anyone can currently use that by setting up a git-svn bridge.  I'm not sure we gain anything
except headaches by migrating the entire repo.

I don't agree with that! I've used the git mirror and it's a real hassle
because then you have to jump back to svn to commit. God forbid there is
a binary file to deal with, or moves or renames. I've done it and I
always give it up after a while - it's too annoying. And I don't trust
the git-svn bridge stuff - it's always got some limitations or gotchyas,
and I just don't trust it for anything but the simplest stuff.

I've seen large svn repos moved to git, and the process seems pretty
painless.

So I think the headache situation is the reverse :)

- Mark