lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: Source Control
Date Sun, 28 Oct 2012 11:24:09 GMT
Am 28.10.12 10:57, schrieb Robert Muir:
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 2:59 AM, Michael Wechner
> <michael.wechner@wyona.com>  wrote:
>
>> I also had/have quite some trouble to get used to the git commandline,
>> although or maybe because I used SVN commandline for many years, but I am
>> very glad now to be using git on other projects, because in particular the
>> process in being able to do feature based branches with git helps so much,
>> that I think it's definitely worth the price.
>>
> There's no one on this planet that can convince me git is technically better.

I am not talking about "technically better" (or maybe I misunderstand
this term), but
I am talking about "process". With git I can do the following:

- Basically for every change (even in case it might just be a typo
inside documentation) I am creating a branch (which I can a "feature"
branch)
- I can share these branches easily with other people even if they don't
have commit/push access to the master branch and hence collaborate
- I can merge branches easily and in particular merge the master branch
into my feature branches, and hence keep my feature branches in sync,
which greatly simplies merging later on into the master branch
- I can commit stuff without having to be online, which is great when
doing several steps on the code, e.g.
      - Commit one: Formatting changes
      - Commit two: Functional changes
- Because of the above I can use a RTC (ReviewThenCommit) process,
because "others" can commit to feature branches, where I can review the
code changes and after successful review commit/push to the master branch.

With SVN I couldn't do this that easily and because it wasn't easy, I
didn't do it. But git allowed me/us to change the process and for me
personally that is great.

I think the question is what process do you want and what tool does make
this process simple?

Maybe before argueing SVN versus git you should specify how you want to
collaborate and also specify requirements (as for example you point ou
below about speed). Once you have a clear picture about this, then
consider the various tools which exist.

HTH

Michael