lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Tomás Fernández Löbbe (JIRA) <>
Subject [jira] [Created] (SOLR-4019) Service Unavailable errors not being logged
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2012 13:03:14 GMT
Tomás Fernández Löbbe created SOLR-4019:

             Summary: Service Unavailable errors not being logged
                 Key: SOLR-4019
             Project: Solr
          Issue Type: Bug
            Reporter: Tomás Fernández Löbbe
            Priority: Minor

Due to changes introduced in SOLR-2124, Service Unavailable (503) errors intentionally not
logged. This was introduced to avoid the PingRequestHandler to generate exceptions in logs
for requests that are not really exceptions for Solr, see
The problem with this now is that in some cases (like when using SolrCloud), 503 are critic
problem and an exception should be logged. 
Per hoss comment:
The crux of the problem historically, and how we got into the weird
situation with the Ping handler is that we wnat to return to the *client*
the 503, so we threw an exception that would propogate up and result in
SolrDispatchFilter returning the 503 -- but in the meantime we had to jump
through a bunch of hoops to deal with the logging because for *solr* it's
not really an error and we shouldn't freak out about logging. (ie: we want
the client to know there is an 503 error, but on the server we don't
relaly care.

and the hoops we've jumped through for logging are now hurting us in a
differnet situation where the 503 really is a serious problem.

We have a similar situation in the ShowFileHandler where we want the
*client* to ge a 404 error, so we throw a SolrException witha 404 error,
but as a result Solr logs loud and ugly that a 404 error happened.

I *think* the cleanest way to deal with this now, would be to change
PingRequestHandler and ShowFileRequestHandler so that instead of
*throwing* a SolrException, their handleRequest methods just construct a
new SolrException with the appropraite status code, put that exception in
the SolrQueryResponse, and then return.  I _think_ that would ypass
the loud conspicous logging that currently happens when exceptions are
thrown (and would let us remove the "ignore SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE
exceptions" kludge that is huring us in SolrCloud so those exceptions
would be logged loud and conspicuously)

This type of solution is something that we *might* have been able to do
along time ago except that it would have been complicated because of the
different code paths arround writting successful output using hte response
writers vs delegating error responses to the servlet container -- but now
it doesn't matter, we use the response writters either way, so i *think*
itwould be relatively striaght forward (although there may be some
vestigal "oh no, we found an exception, we must log it" logic in the
request dispatcher that might need to be tweaked to only do that if the
exception is *thrown* and not just an object in the response)

This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly, please contact your JIRA administrators
For more information on JIRA, see:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message