lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: VOTE: release 4.0 (RC2)
Date Sat, 06 Oct 2012 11:19:09 GMT
Hi,

+1 to release this time!

- I ran smoketester on Linux (JDKs: 1.6.0_33, 1.7.0_07, server, 64bit), passed!
- I used the PANGAEA index (version 3.6.1, copied from our production system), ran checkindex
on it (both JDKs) passed. Index size and deletions were reported correctly this time. I also
checked an force-merged PANGAEA index, passed also.
- I used IndexUpgrader to upgrade both 3.6.1 indexes, passed.
- I checked the output of IndexUpgrader again with CheckIndex, the output for the force-merged
3.6.1 index was identical to the migrated 4.0 index (number of terms,....)
- I compared the index sizes of the single-segment 3.6.1 and 4.0.0 indexes: 4.0 was slightly
larger. You have to know that this index contains thousands of fields (it allows to search
in XML based on XQuery-like, so we have a field for every possible xpath of our rather complex
XML schema in the index). The search speed improved dramatically (because of the separate
term dictionaries for every field). In addition, so the bigger size is also caused by splitting
fields to separate term dictionaries vs. one in 3.6. 4.0 also has more statistics. I think
an index with 10 fields may be smaller, will try this a little bit later with another index
- I used the demo module to run some text-only queries, they passed.

On small thing: We mention (in lucene's package), that Java 6 is needed, so we should at least
mention that in the release notes. We should improve our docs/index.(html|xsl) to mention
system requirements. Same for Solr. We have a system requirements page on the website, but
that is unversioned, so we should also add a section for 4.0 there. But this is not the way
to go. We should also mention that Java 7 is the preferred Java version, if you have 1.7.0_01
at least.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler