lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Smiley, David W." <>
Subject Re: Changes as we approach v4
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2012 21:04:08 GMT

On Sep 21, 2012, at 4:51 PM, Robert Muir wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 4:20 PM,
> <> wrote:
>> compatibility concern to changes until v4 is actually released.  In
>> your opinion, is it too late to do class renames in this area? --
>> LUCENE-4374 is about renaming TwoDoublesStrategy to
>> PointVectorStrategy (much better name; the old name is crap and that's
>> my fault).
> I can't really answer this question: as I hinted at monday, I'm not
> going to try to police issues.
> Honestly the codebase is too large for one person to "police" what
> issues go in and out of a release.
> If its something I feel i know pretty well, I'll give my opinion, but
> in general this stuff needs to be decided by the people that know it
> (e.g. you, Chris, Ryan).

Ok good -- makes sense.  In this case I know Chris is a definite fan, and I've given up on
trying to contact Ryan these days (never ending vacation?).

> I will only say (not knowing about the classes in question) that there
> is always the conservative option to mark things experimental and
> change them in 4.1.
> Its conservative in the sense that various examples/docs and such wont break.

All Lucene spatial classes have the @lucene.experimental marking already.  I need to add these
to the Solr ones too.  I don't want that label to be there always but this technology is moving
a bit too fast now.

~ David
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: