lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Smiley, David W." <dsmi...@mitre.org>
Subject Spatial field names in Solr
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 21:55:14 GMT
This past Sunday I added 3 spatial field types to Solr in SOLR-3304: SpatialTwoDoublesFieldType,
SpatialRecursivePrefixTreeFieldType and SpatialTermQueryPrefixTreeFieldType.  Eventually there
will also be a SpatialBBoxFieldType following this naming convention.  These are named in
a consistent way based on SpatialStrategy subclasses in the Lucene spatial module.   Of course,
Solr 3 introduced PointType and LatLonType.

What do people think of these Solr field type names?  They are kind of long; perhaps the "Field"
parts can be removed.  Maybe "L4" should precede each of these names? (a Lucene 4 spatial
module reference).  It would further delineate these fields from the Solr native fields.

And about TwoDoubles in particular... I had a tough time coming up with a name for that in
the first place as I wanted to avoid a LatLon variation in its name as I think that's a bad
idea. For whatever reason I didn't simply choose Point.  I opened LUCENE-4374 to rename this
SpatialStrategy subclass, suggesting PointVectorStrategy.  But maybe PointStrategy is fine.
 Ideally the name suggests something about its implementation since there very well may be
alternative indexing strategies in the future for a given type.

~ David