lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: VOTE: release 4.0
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2012 22:29:23 GMT
On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally, I think our system is better - use consensus wherever you can
> avoid hard rules wherever you can.
>
> Consensus and Lazy Consensus, 3 +1's for a release. Who needs any more :)

yeah, i dont want to be the one guy committing to this thing, I don't
currently have the time to manage all the fixes, nor do i necessarily
know enough about all the pieces involved to do the correct
cost-benefit analysis.

instead i'm asking that other people do this: maybe the 'correct' fix
for some bugs is too risky to go in the release branch and a safe
workaround makes more sense (we have 4.x/5.x for bigger changes, thats
fine).

and please be conservative, just open the issue with Fix version: 4.0
and Blocker, and take your time. let changes bake. add tests to ensure
additional regressions are not introduced by fixes (I am concerned
about that). run 'ant nightly-smoke' before committing to the release
branch (because my jenkins is running this continously, and is
configured to automatically revert commits that break the build).

of course I want a solid release that isn't full of bugs, I am just of
course pushing back on *all changes* because I'm trying to encourage
stability.

--
lucidworks.com