lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: missing javadocs/package.html
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2012 22:17:11 GMT
I wanted to respond to Tommaso's comment in the release vote in a
separate thread for discussion:

> one thing I noticed is :
> "no package description (missing package.html in src?)"
> for most of the Solr source code therefore we should add those package(-info).html for
the javadoc.

We've been working on this for the lucene side (3.6 was the first
release where every package had docs, 4.0 will be the first where
every class had docs, and we are now working towards
methods/fields/ctors/enums).
I think this would be valuable for solr too (especially solrj as a start).

Besides users, its really useful to developers as well. Of course we
all think our code is self-documenting, but its not always the case. a
few extra seconds can save someone a ton of time trying to figure out
your code.
Additionally at least in my IDE, when things are done as javadoc
comments then they are more easily accessible than code comments. I'm
sure its the case for some other development environments too.

Filling in these package.html's to at least have a one sentence
description would be a really good start. It lets someone know where
to go at the high-level.

If I was brand new to solr and wanted to write a java app that uses
solrj, i wouldn't have a clue where to start
(https://builds.apache.org/job/Solr-Artifacts-4.x/javadoc/solr-solrj/index.html).
12 sentences could go a really long way.

And for all new code, I hope we can all try harder for more complete
javadocs. when you are working on something and its fresh in your head
its a lot easier to do this than for someone else to come back around
and figure it out.