lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 4.0 planning
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2012 15:33:53 GMT
On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Tommaso Teofili
<tommaso.teofili@gmail.com> wrote:

> I see your point, second option sounds much better.
> We could perhaps make a shortly due roadmap like:
> - fix whatever you want by date x (2/3/4 weeks)
> - code freeze for 1/2 weeks
> - release
> - celebrate :-)

Personally I would prefer we don't do the first part. Adding some
arbitrary length of time like this to fix whatever you want invites a
"code-shoving" period where people are encouraged to rush things in to
get them by XYZ date.

This can basically cause a huge destabilization of the codebase, and
its totally unnecessary.

I would prefer we wind down now and do bugs, docs, tests, and
blockers. I don't like official code freezes either, I feel like we
can just work together on this and do what makes sense.

--
lucidworks.com