lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Changes as we approach v4
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2012 20:51:03 GMT
On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 4:20 PM, david.w.smiley@gmail.com
<david.w.smiley@gmail.com> wrote:
> compatibility concern to changes until v4 is actually released.  In
> your opinion, is it too late to do class renames in this area? --
> LUCENE-4374 is about renaming TwoDoublesStrategy to
> PointVectorStrategy (much better name; the old name is crap and that's
> my fault).

I can't really answer this question: as I hinted at monday, I'm not
going to try to police issues.
Honestly the codebase is too large for one person to "police" what
issues go in and out of a release.
If its something I feel i know pretty well, I'll give my opinion, but
in general this stuff needs to be decided by the people that know it
(e.g. you, Chris, Ryan).

I will only say (not knowing about the classes in question) that there
is always the conservative option to mark things experimental and
change them in 4.1.
Its conservative in the sense that various examples/docs and such wont break.

> And FYI I intend to add a bunch of javadocs to all
> spatial classes this weekend.

+1 this would be really nice. There are a lot of new APIS/changed APIs
in 4.0 and documentation is vital because e.g. people are not going to
be able to go off of Lucene in Action etc.

--
lucidworks.com