lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SolrCloud terminology issue: slice vs. shard
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2012 14:11:13 GMT
On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Jack Krupansky <jack@basetechnology.com> wrote:
> I have seen a couple of Jira’s go by in the past few days that bring up the
> term “slice” in the context of SolrCloud. It was my understanding that the
> preferred term is now “shard”. The wiki is pure “shard” and the code still
> has a mix, but is “slice” now making a comeback as the preferred term?
>
> Or, is the intent simply for “shard” and “slice” to be considered synonyms?
>
> -- Jack Krupansky

Until we agree on a firm stance, the current state of affairs is this:

Slice always means logical shard. Shard means logical or physical
shard by context. We usually use only shard in doc and slice in code.
Sometimes, because context may be a less than clear guide, slice is
used in email/jira.

I've tried to firm this up before, but that is where we ended up
sitting for a while now.

--
- Mark