lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: being a good citizen is hard when you can't successfully run tests....
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 03:10:13 GMT
I get value from this test - if it was disabled, I'd probably re-enable it.
would be great if it didn't fail so much, but the type of fail tells me
something. I work on improving tests all the time - I also need to fit in a
life and further dev. Getting large scale integration tests to pass
reliably on so many different systems is hard! Lucene tests are easy in
comparison. I'd rather have a test that tells me something based on the
fail than no coverage.

If someone doesn't want to help improve the test, fine - doesn't mean it
should be disabled. It passes 100% of the time on my machine.

I've worked on both Lucene and solr tests. Due to the nature of each, it's
easy to make solid Lucene tests and hard to make solid solr tests in many
cases. Boo hoo. Library vs large application with many integration tests.