lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@cs.put.poznan.pl>
Subject Re: being a good citizen is hard when you can't successfully run tests....
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2012 18:42:34 GMT
> Related question: how hard would it be to set up Ant testing to be like the maven --fail-at-end
test option?  That way at least when failures do occur, they wouldn't block other testing.

The problem with this is that we have a multi-module ant build. junit4
_always_ runs all the tests, it never stops on the first failure. But
it is invoked several times so every call is considered independent
(and is).

Now, I know I'm being a pain but read the output of 'ant test-help'
carefully :) Quoting:

# Run all tests without stopping on errors (inspect log files!).
ant -Dtests.haltonfailure=false test

What this does is it won't stop on errors after a junit4 task
completes. The problem is, of course, that you'll need to embed some
higher-level logic in Ant that will, for example, create a marker file
based on a property and fail the build at the very end. What is "the
very end" when you have antcalls? Hard to tell, no nesting information
is available.

Whatever the consensus is I'll stick with my previous opinion --
notoriously failing tests are bad, we shouldn't make it easier to skim
over failing test cases. We should either fix (hard, I know) or
disable (yes, we lose coverage) those flaky tests.

Dawid