lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidworks.com>
Subject Re: being a good citizen is hard when you can't successfully run tests....
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 01:30:58 GMT
On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:
> not so much energy spent fixing these few shitty solr tests, some of
> which (Like TestReplicationHandler) are totally useless and have been
> failing sporatically for like, years.

Can you explain why it's useless (without the derogatory adjectives please)?

I didn't write the test to begin with, so I don't know off the top of
my head all of the functionality it covers.  I'd be surprised if it
was all redundant and covered by other test suites of course.

Notes:
 - I remember it passing for *long* periods of time
 - I just ran it in a loop 30 times on my linux box and it passed 100%
of the time, and in a timely manner
 - It *has* found many bugs when it started failing (i.e. usefull, not useless)
 - Many of us (including you) *have* worked to improve the situation
over time when it does deteriorate - check the logs.

It's not clear what you are suggesting (unless you are volunteering to
look into this issue with OS-X apparently, or volunteering to write a
new replication test from scratch or something).

-Yonik
http://lucidworks.com