lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: Is this a SolrCloud bug? Or expected behavior?
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 16:24:58 GMT
Start by adding &debugQuery=true to your query request and look at the
timings for the various search components.

You know, there has been some recent chatter about slowness of references to
"localhost" vs. "127.0.0.1". Who knows, maybe that could be a factor here.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message-----
From: jimtronic
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 11:49 AM
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Is this a SolrCloud bug? Or expected behavior?

I've got a set up as follows:

- 13 cores
- 2 servers
- running Solr 4.0 Beta with numShards=1 and an external zookeeper.

I'm trying to figure out why some complex queries are running so slowly in
this setup versus quickly in a standalone mode.

Given a query like: /select?q=(some complex query)

It runs fast and gets faster (caches) when only running one server:

1. ?fl=*&q=(complex query)&wt=json&rows=24 (QTime 3)

When, I issue the same query to the cluster and watch the logs, it looks
like it's actually performing the query 3 times like so:

1. ?q=(complex
query)&distrib=false&wt=javabin&rows=24&version=2&NOW=1347911018556&shard.url=(server1)|(server2)&fl=id,score&df=text&start=0&isShard=true&fsv=true
(QTime 2)

2. ?ids=(ids from query
1)&distrib=false&wt=javabin&rows=24&version=2&df=text&fl=*&shard.url=(server1)|(server2)&NOW=1347911018556&start=0&q=(complex
query)&isShard=true (QTime 4)

3.  ?fl=*&q=(complex query)&wt=json&rows=24 (QTime 459)

Why is it performing #3? It already has everything it needs in #2 and #3
seems to be really slow even when warmed and cached.

As stated above, this query is fast when running on a single server that is
warmed and cached.

Since my query is complex, I could understand some slowness if I was
attempting this across multiple shards, but since there's only one shard,
shouldn't it just pick one server and query it?

I can "fix" this by adding "distrib=false" to my original queries, but then
that sort of makes the whole cluster meaningless.

Ideally, I'd just spin up a new server that attaches itself to zookeeper and
add it to my load balancer and forget about it.

Thanks!
Jim