lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] TM in website graphic images
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2012 16:57:34 GMT
Mark,

There are two boats here: the ASF and Lucene/Solr.  Not rocking one will rock the other.

My point in bringing up the possibility of a vote was not to establish consensus (which I
think we have already reached: as you say, no need to rock the boat), but rather to go on
record for the board about our explicit decision not to follow this aspect of the ASF branding
requirements.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Miller [mailto:markrmiller@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2012 10:32 AM
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] TM in website graphic images

I like to live in the majority for this type of thing :)  Our logo's
seem happy enough to me. I don't see any need to rock the boat.

Our logos and names are protected regardless, and it seems energy is
better spent elsewhere.

I don't think it's a big deal either way, but that itself is why I would
vote to just stay pat.

If 90%+ of the other projects did it, it would have a lot more weight
with me.

bq. Thoughts?

I do think it's better to discuss than jump to a vote - even if we have
discussed before. I strongly believe almost all votes are a last resort,
not a matter of course. The exceptions being voting in new contributors
and for releases. I think the best course of action for these things is
to bring it up again, reference the previous discussion, then if it
needs to go to a vote due to lack of consensus, we start a vote. I know
you brought up discussing before moving to the vote - but this is my
response to "Thoughts?".

My personal opinion, so FWIW.

- Mark

On 09/28/2012 09:11 AM, Steven A Rowe wrote:
> I did a survey of the 184 ASF projects listed on this page: <http://projects.apache.org/indexes/alpha.html>
- this is a list of products, not top-level projects, e.g. Lucene Core and Solr are listed
separately.

> I counted 77 of the 184 (42%) with some form of TM next to at least one graphic image
on the site (e.g., Commons products' sites often have TM on the Commons logo, but not on the
product logo - I counted these among the 77).  A fair number of the 184 are no longer active
(i.e., in the Attic), though, so the percentage of active project with TMs in graphic images
is somewhat higher than 42%, maybe something like 45%.

> Almost all of the 77 incorporate the TM in the graphic images, rather than placing textual
TMs adjacent to the images.