lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] TM in website graphic images
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2012 13:11:54 GMT
I did a survey of the 184 ASF projects listed on this page: <http://projects.apache.org/indexes/alpha.html>
- this is a list of products, not top-level projects, e.g. Lucene Core and Solr are listed
separately.

I counted 77 of the 184 (42%) with some form of TM next to at least one graphic image on the
site (e.g., Commons products' sites often have TM on the Commons logo, but not on the product
logo - I counted these among the 77).  A fair number of the 184 are no longer active (i.e.,
in the Attic), though, so the percentage of active project with TMs in graphic images is somewhat
higher than 42%, maybe something like 45%.

Almost all of the 77 incorporate the TM in the graphic images, rather than placing textual
TMs adjacent to the images.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Muir [mailto:rcmuir@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:17 PM
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] TM in website graphic images

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 7:59 PM, Steven A Rowe <sarowe@syr.edu> wrote:
>         ... ensure that it
>         includes a small "TM" symbol in the graphic or
>         immediately adjacent to it. For pages that include the
>         poject logo on them, ensure you mention "... and the
>         Project logo are trademarks..." in the attribution.
>
> There is no room for interpretation here: the requirements say that it must be done.

I dunno, this seems like there is some room for interpretation.
Looking at the old threads it seemed some people didnt want the image
quality screwed up, thats all.

I interpret the statement as "its also ok to add some html that puts a
little TM next to the graphic". Maybe this would be easier to
implement and less controversial.