lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: 4.0 planning
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2012 15:33:30 GMT
I say roll the RC for 4.0-GA on Monday (if not on the weekend or end of
today) with the promise of an early 4.1 for anything that can't be done by
Monday. As long as the remaining issues are not serious regressions from
3.6.1 or 4.0-BETA.

A max of 4 weeks "development" for 4.1 would be a good target after 4.0 to
assure that incomplete and untested features get addressed in a timely
manner for 4.0 early adopters.

As long as the 4.0 RC is clearly better than 3.6.1 and 4.0-BETA, what's to
lose?

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Muir
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2012 11:20 AM
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: 4.0 planning

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 11:13 AM, David Smiley (@MITRE.org)
<DSMILEY@mitre.org> wrote:
> Hi Rob.
> I think it's fairly critical that at least some of the Solr spatial
> adapters
> get committed SOLR-3304.  I've been working on it and related issues like
> LUCENE-4208.
> ~ David

As far as new features like cloud management APIs or spatial features,
really i don't know how important it is.

I'm seriously not gonna push back on this stuff, I'm just going to
reiterate Mike's point about 4.1/4.2: we can drag out 4.0 to december
2014 for all I care adding feature after feature (and then dealing
with bugs that come from that), or we can get it out soon and work on
4.1, 4.2, 4.3, ...

--
lucidworks.com