lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Robert Muir (JIRA)" <>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (SOLR-3376) SolrCloud: Specifying shardId not working correctly, although the failures are inconsistent.
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 16:16:07 GMT


Robert Muir commented on SOLR-3376:

Is this still a problem now that zookeeper has been upgraded?
> SolrCloud: Specifying shardId not working correctly, although the failures are inconsistent.
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>                 Key: SOLR-3376
>                 URL:
>             Project: Solr
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: SolrCloud
>            Reporter: Erick Erickson
>            Assignee: Sami Siren
>             Fix For: 4.0
> I'm seeing some odd results when specifying "shardId" parameter. I'm trying the 4-node,
2-shard example from the Wiki and specifying shardIds like this:
> dir       shardId     start order    runnng ZK   port
> example     1           1               y        8983
> example2    2           2               y        7574
> example3    1           3               y        8900
> example4    2           4               y        7500 
> And I'm waiting a bit between starting various examples to let ZK settle down.
> Once all of them are started, I was looking at http://localhost:8983/solr/#/~cloud?view=graph
to check out what that looks like (pretty cool IMO, especially since I didn't have to do it).
The problem was that shard 2 only reported a single instance, while shard1 showed the two
instances I was expecting. I'm running with 3 embedded ZK instances, just for yucks. Interestingly
the node that didn't show up was the only node that was NOT running ZK.
> When I removed all the "shardId" parameters, nuked zoo_data from all directories and
just started them up (with numShards=2 on the bootstrap ZK node), all 4 nodes showed up just
> When starting with shardId specified and trying to go straight to the admin interface
on the node that wasn't showing up, I'd get odd errors like "This interface requires that
you activate the admin request handlers, add the following configuration to your solrconfig.xml:".
I also couldn't search directly on that machine, "http://localhost:7574/solr/select?q=*:*"
returns a 404 error.
> Command starting server that's giving me trouble: java -Xmx1G -Djetty.port=7500 -DzkHost=localhost:9983,localhost:8574,localhost:9900
-DshardId=2 -jar start.jar
> Command for one that works fine:                   java -Xmx1G -Djetty.port=8900 -DzkRun
-DzkHost=localhost:9983,localhost:8574,localhost:9900 -DshardId=1 -jar start.jar
> Sami Siren and he reports similar issues via e-mail conversation. Sami says that ZK 3.3.5
apparently (without exhaustive tests) fixed the problem for him, but when I tried ZK 3.3.5
I saw the same issue. Of course with all the recent stuff with Ivy, I may have screwed up
when/where the JARs were.
> So then I went back to ZK 3.3.4 and couldn't reproduce the problem. Which seems highly
suspicious to me. It was failing every time before with 3.3.4, so it sounds like gremlins.
> And then I tried ZK 3.3.5 again (changed the ivy.xml in solrj, blew away the ZK 3.3.4,
rebuilt, removed zoo_data, recopied example to three other directories)  and it works fine
there too now. Siiiiggggh. Mostly this is a placeholder to insure we try this, I guarantee
that sys admins will want to assign specific machines to specific shards, so this'll get used.

This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly, please contact your JIRA administrators
For more information on JIRA, see:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message