lucene-dev mailing list archives

From jimtronic <jimtro...@gmail.com>
Subject Is this a SolrCloud bug? Or expected behavior?
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 15:49:31 GMT
I've got a set up as follows:

- 13 cores
- 2 servers
- running Solr 4.0 Beta with numShards=1 and an external zookeeper.

I'm trying to figure out why some complex queries are running so slowly in
this setup versus quickly in a standalone mode.

Given a query like: /select?q=(some complex query)

It runs fast and gets faster (caches) when only running one server:

1. ?fl=*&q=(complex query)&wt=json&rows=24 (QTime 3)

When, I issue the same query to the cluster and watch the logs, it looks
like it's actually performing the query 3 times like so:

1. ?q=(complex
query)&distrib=false&wt=javabin&rows=24&version=2&NOW=1347911018556&shard.url=(server1)|(server2)&fl=id,score&df=text&start=0&isShard=true&fsv=true
(QTime 2)

2. ?ids=(ids from query
1)&distrib=false&wt=javabin&rows=24&version=2&df=text&fl=*&shard.url=(server1)|(server2)&NOW=1347911018556&start=0&q=(complex
query)&isShard=true (QTime 4)

3.  ?fl=*&q=(complex query)&wt=json&rows=24 (QTime 459)

Why is it performing #3? It already has everything it needs in #2 and #3
seems to be really slow even when warmed and cached.

As stated above, this query is fast when running on a single server that is
warmed and cached.

Since my query is complex, I could understand some slowness if I was
attempting this across multiple shards, but since there's only one shard,
shouldn't it just pick one server and query it?

I can "fix" this by adding "distrib=false" to my original queries, but then
that sort of makes the whole cluster meaningless.

Ideally, I'd just spin up a new server that attaches itself to zookeeper and
add it to my load balancer and forget about it.

Thanks!
Jim