lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Doc issue or bug? - only top-level query can be pure negative in standard Solr queries
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2012 21:14:55 GMT
The Solr query syntax wiki says that “Pure negative queries (all clauses prohibited) are
allowed”, but this is only true at the top level – a pure negative query within parentheses
gets evaluated in the same Boolean Query rather nested as a new BooleanQuery with a MUST for
*:*.

See:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrQuerySyntax

The question is... should this to be treated as a “bug” (and presumably, eventually, fixed),
or a “won’t fix” limitation that merely needs to be documented since people keep stumbling
into it?

I can file a Jira if we really want to do something about this, or I can just add a note to
the wiki. Or maybe both, with a wiki note needed now.

-- Jack Krupansky