lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: Lucene3xCodec doesn't allow deletions in 4x?
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 14:24:29 GMT
The current (4.0-BETA) CHANGES.txt does say the following:

"Mixed flex/pre-flex indexes are perfectly fine -- the two
    emulation layers (flex API on pre-flex index, and pre-flex API on
    flex index) will remap the access as required.  So on upgrading to
    4.0 you can start indexing new documents into an existing index."

I don't know if that was worded very carefully or sloppily, but some users
may not be able to easily and quickly fathom the now-apparent restrictions
hidden behind "Mixed flex/pre-flex indexes are perfectly fine." If the
intention of the statement is to indicate that deletes and updates are not
guaranteed, it should say so. I mean, "will remap the access as required"
sounds as if ALL accesses will be remapped as required.

Granted, "indexing new documents" doesn't necessarily imply that modifying
existing documents or deleting existing documents is supported, but it
doesn't do anything to highlight these current limitations either, and
average users should be excused for not parsing the statement so carefully.

Oh, and that text does fall under the header of "Changes in backwards
compatibility policy" - suggesting that backwards compatibility policy has
changed, although it is not clear from the language of the header whether
this is simply a "limited, one-time special" policy change rather than a
"general" policy change. The specific statements are clear about this being
4.0, though. Actually, that "header" is not specific to the flex/codec
change, which adds to the confusion.

I'm not going to strenuously argue that full back compat from 3.x to 4.x is
a 100% requirement, but simply that the compatibility/upgrade statement be
100% accurate and easy for non-committers to fathom.

-- Jack Krupansky