lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject don't allow negatives in the positions file
Date Sat, 11 Aug 2012 12:59:54 GMT
Hello, see the linked patch:

http://pastebin.com/7JAaJ3EN

Because of an ancient bug in lucene 2.4.0, we still allow -1 as a
position. But this doesnt even work today (i created such an index,
and phrase queries etc dont work because tons of lucene code assumes
positions are >= 0).
Additionally, these wont be compressible with bulk compression
algorithms that assume positive integers.

So I think we should throw exception in checkindex if someone has
these negative positions.

Just in case someone has a 2.4.0 index they migrated all the way up to
4.0, the patch contains code in preflex's reader to correct the -1
delta to 0. This is no worse than today, in that phrase queries etc
still wont work on these corrumpt positions, however the rest of the
index will continue to work fine.

--
lucidimagination.com