lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@cs.put.poznan.pl>
Subject Re: large messages from Jenkins failures
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2012 18:43:25 GMT
> Unfortunately, -Dtests.showOutput=never penalizes all tests that don't have megabytes
of failure output because some do.

It doesn't penalize them, it says exactly what it does. A "full"
report is always written to disk, including all sysouts -- look at
tests-report.txt if I recall right.

> What do you think of adding an option to limit output size (e.g. -Dtests.outputLimitKB=10),
and truncating to that size if it's exceeded?  If you think this would be reasonable, I'm
willing to (try to) do the work.

I don't know... this seems like monkey patching for something that is
wrong in the first place. Here are my thoughts on this:

1) the problem is not really in big e-mails but that they're frequent
failures resulting from pretty much a fixed set of classes that we
don't know how to stabilize.

2) I think Solr emits a LOT of logging information to the console. I
don't know if all of it is really useful -- I doubt it, really.

The solutions I see are simple -- disable the tests that fail 3-5
times and we still don't know what causes the problem. Disable them
and file a JIRA issue.

An alternative is to redirect these logs on Solr tests to a file or a
circular memory buffer and only emit like a tail of N most recent
messages if we know a test failed (which is easy to do with a simple
rule).

Patching the test runner to truncate log output is doable of course
but I think it's powdering the corpse or whatever the English idiom
for that is, you get me.

Dawid