lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: (LUCENE-3892) Add a useful intblock postings format (eg, FOR, PFOR, PFORDelta, Simple9/16/64, etc.)
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 16:52:55 GMT
On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Adrien Grand <jpountz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/08/2012 17:54, Michael McCandless wrote:> Replying to dev@
> because Jira keeps being unavailable:
>> Seems like we should default BlockPostingsFormat to COMPACT.
>
> Something that worries me too is that I tried to reproduce this
> benchmark (but with a lower jvmCount as I was running out of time) and
> I got very similar results between COMPACT and DEFAULT, I am not sure
> why...
>
> Moreover Toke pointed out that PackedInts had very different
> performance characteristics depending on the hardware in LUCENE-4062,

Maybe on startup we need to run N possibilities and select the fastest!

Kind of like how software raid does when it starts...

It wouldn't be perfect though, since whatever env does the searching
can be totally different from whatever is doing the indexing...

> I'd be interested to know how COMPACT and DEFAULT compare on other
> computers.

I'll test on my beast (2X Xeon 5680) ...

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com