lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Karthick Duraisamy Soundararaj <d.s.karth...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Diversifying Search Results - Custom Collector
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2012 16:04:23 GMT
On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Tanguy Moal <tanguy.moal@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry then, my approach really disables pagination jumps. You're left with
> the 'next' button only, or an "infinite-scroll" type of pagination, which
> may not be what you wanted to do...

You are right.

> Did you try disabling tf/idf and using random field as a secondary sort
> ? I'm pretty sure it will give you the best results with best efforts.

I was little nervous about turning off idf as I was concerned it might
affect relevancy. Considering that idf promotes documents with unique words
across the index more than the ones, turning off idf might make sense in an
ecommerce application.  What do you think?

But then, I dont get idea of random field for secondary sort. Secondary
sort is applicable only in the cases where the scores/primary sort values
are tied right? So I am not quite sure as how it would fit in here.