lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: large messages from Jenkins failures
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2012 18:02:24 GMT
The Groovy-scripted email length reduction method appears to be working now (after quite a
few false starts).

I've added the following script, which limits email body text to 200K chars, to all Lucene
and Solr jobs on all three Jenkins instances that regularly send failure emails to this list
(ASF, SDDS, and flonkings):

	maxLength = 200000;
	trailingLength = 10000;
	bodyPart = msg.getContent().getBodyPart(0);
	body = bodyPart.getContent();
	bodyLength = body.length();
	logger.println("[Email-ext] Notification email body length: " + bodyLength);
	if (bodyLength > maxLength) {
	  text = new StringBuilder();
	  text.append(body.substring(0, maxLength - trailingLength));
	  text.append("\n\n[...truncated too long message...]\n\n");
	  text.append(body.substring(bodyLength - trailingLength));
	  bodyPart.setText(text.toString(), "UTF-8");
	  logger.println("[Email-ext] Reduced notification email body length to: " + text.length());
	}

You can see the first successfully length-reduced email to this list, sent from Policeman
Jenkins Server a little less than an hour before this post, with subject "[JENKINS] Lucene-Solr-trunk-Windows
(32bit/jdk1.7.0_06) - Build # 533 - Failure!".

I chose the 200K chars limit somewhat arbitrarily - please let me know if you think it should
be different.

Steve