lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jacek Plebanek <>
Subject Federated Search - jira issues
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2012 09:16:20 GMT

I would like to propose new feature and start working on it. Which
version is right for that? Which one should I choose in jira (4.0,
trunk..) ?

Feature (Mother jira issue) description:
Following discussion (May 2012) on
( i would like to
introduce the idea of Federated Search in Solr.

It would be nice to have support for real Federated Search in Solr -
very helpfull for people who would like to include some external search
results in their Solr-based system.

By Federated Search i mean searching across not only distributed Solr
instances (existing DistributedSearch in Solr) but also other kind of
external search services.

Typical federated search process includes:
- collection selection step
- results merging
- adapters for external collections connection
- collections representations (used in collection selection and/or
result merging)

All of above parts should be designed in a way that allows easy
customization/reimplementation by users.

I'm thinking about creating full solution with basic example
implementation of each module.

Things to do that comes to my mind are:
1. federated request support in SearchHandler: the place where
everything is tight up.
2. CollectionSelectionComponent: which should be independent, so one can
use it separately.
3. federated search support in QueryComponent: with no hard-coded
agorithms if it's possible.
4. Results merging rules module: as pluggable part of QueryComponent or
as separate MergingComponent.
5. Adapter (connector) to external collection: interface and example
6. Collections representation: interface and default implementation:
Used to store informations about indexes/collections.

The typical use case would look like this:
- user sends search request
- Solr decides to which indexes delegate the request [collection
selection]: for example by comparing user's query with collection
- Solr decides how many and which documents get from each collection
[merge rules]: for example by using previous step results.
- Solr sends user's query to collections (Solr instances and/or external
collections through dedicated adapters)
- Solr merges and retuns the results.

Jacek Plebanek

Interdisciplinary Centre for Mathematical and Computational Modelling
University of Warsaw, Poland

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message