lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject RE: Solr 3.6.0 javadocs are missing from the site
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2012 18:12:01 GMT

: I would make a perm redirect (301) from api/ -> api3/.
: api3/ -> api-3.6.0 would be a 302 redirect, as it is official.

That assumes that anyone who linked or bookmarked "/api" specificly
expected the 3.x links.

/solr/api/... has existed since solr 1.1 and has always been updated to be
the "current" docs when a new release comes out.

hence my point about keeping the redirect up to date pointing at the
current version, so the URLs continue to mean what they have always ment
to anyone who has linked to them or bookmarked to them -- we can't assume
they only wanted "Solr 3.x" javadocs just becuase that's wha they were
most recently -- some people may have linked to them when they were 1.4 or
1.1 javadocs.

This isn't rocket science -- it's basic SEO.

wether it's a 301 or a 302 is a philosophical debate.  Personally i think
302 makes the most sense according to the spec and browser/search engine
behavior -- but i don't give enough of a fuck to argue about it, but the
redirect needs to exist in some form.

-Hoss