lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Solr 3.6.0 javadocs are missing from the site
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2012 17:56:25 GMT
On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Chris Hostetter
<hossman_lucene@fucit.org> wrote:

> : > Well then you and i have radically differnet opinions about SEO and good
> : > long term URL practices.
> :
> : clearly we do: i care about documentation not having broken links.
> :
> : but linking to api/ is fucked up. Those links *will break* when the api changes.
>
> Some of the existing URLs will start 404ing if/when classes/methods are
> gradually removed, that is true -- but if you delete the redirect then
> *ALL* of the URLs will start 404 immediately, even though we do in fact
> have a place we could easily redirect them.  Thats just plain
> irresponsible.
>
> If your concern is purely that we should stop linking to "unversioned"
> urls like /solr/api/.../Foo.html then fine -- for the most part that will
> happen as a natural course of events anyway since the redirect will start
> always sending people a specific version URL anyway.  If you want to
> proactively go through all the wiki docs and switch all "/api/..." links
> to "/api-4_0_0-ALPHA/..." you're certianly free to do that.  (Are you
> going to volunteer to manualy keep updating them every release?)
>
> My primary concern is that as long as there are "current" javadocs
> somewhere, then /solr/api/.* should redirect to them so that existing
> linkages don't break.  it's trivial to keep up to date, and it doesn't
> hurt anything.

i dont think we should have a 'current' javadocs link anywhere.

again, lucene doesnt have this.

instead, i already suggested api-4, api-3, etc. This way 'outside'
links can link to a specific major version without much fear, because
its highly unlikely things will break within a minor release.

but some 'api' link as if the damn thing never changes is just insanity.

--
lucidimagination.com