lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: top level "ant test" shouldn't validate?
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2012 18:39:56 GMT
On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Dawid Weiss
<dawid.weiss@cs.put.poznan.pl> wrote:
>> shit for me. add 'clean-all' if you want this!
>
> We see it differently, to me a 'clean' should restore pretty much
> checkout state. No need for aliasing targets to do a clean/ cleaner/
> cleanest clean. What's broken is not clean, it's the fact that we need
> to copy and sync those damn jars.

I guess what gets me is i get used to a certain compile-test-debug cycle:

1. run tests
2. look at which ones failed and pick the "easiest" to understand.
3. hack on things until i think its fixed
4. run that test again, if it passes GOTO 1
5. if it fails, run ant clean # clean here because i dont trust the
compiler i(e.g. changed a static value or whatever), then run it
again.
6. if it still fails, get another beer and pull my hair out and go
back to hacking on things, then back to 1

(optional) for some changes, once tests pass:
7. ant clean this checkout and another one # clean here to be safe:
because benchmarks are painfully slow
8. run benchmarks (luceneutil, whatever)
9. depending on results, make more changes and go back to test lifecycle above.

once i am happy with that:
10. run ant clean javadocs-lint # clean here because otherwise i might
have stale javadocs from classes i deleted
11. if this fails, fix javadocs warnings or any other brokenness, GOTO 1

before i commit or upload patch or whatever:
12. run validation or whatever, in no way does it need to be involved
in anything above.
13. search for nocommits, svn diff and review the patch, look for stupid stuff.

as you see 'ant clean' sits in here in at least 2 places, sometimes 3,
each time inside a debugging loop.
so its annoying if i also have to fix my IDE all these times too
(which includes recrawling the entire tree each time for 'ant eclipse'
PLUS refreshing my workspace which usually forces a painful eclipse
rebuild) while I'm trying to debug various things.

its also unnecessary to crawl the entire source tree in any of those
debugging loops doing validation checking things like licenses
when its unrelated to what I'm doing, I check that a single time when
I'm ready to commit.

--
lucidimagination.com