lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1357027 - /lucene/dev/trunk/solr/core/src/test/org/apache/solr/search/TestRealTimeGe
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2012 19:18:44 GMT
On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Yonik Seeley <> wrote:

> I was working on SOLR-3559... I thought I had it nailed, so I
> committed it (and I couldn't update the JIRA issue because JIRA was
> down), along with
> enabling DBQ in the stress reorder versions test.

That's great!

> That test started hitting errors on many of our jenkins boxes, so I
> reverted the test change while I worked on it more.

Right: it's that revert that could have used a better commit message
so that on quick glance other committers could understand the context
of the change, especially if the change is one that reduces test

Something simple like "SOLR-3559: revert new test until this is fixed"
or something like that.

> I've since made
> progress and re-enabled it.

Excellent.  I figured something like this was the reason for the commit.

>> In any event when reducing test coverage suddenly like this, Yonik,
>> please do a more thorough job explaining why.
> That's a funny way of putting it.  I enabled the DBQ reordering, got
> failures, then disabled it again with the commit log message of
> "tests: disable stress DBQ reorder".

Right, but, I didn't remember/see/realize that you had just recently
added this to the test.

Out of context it suddenly looks like we are losing test coverage and
the reason isn't immediately clear.

Net/net we should all try to over-communicate in commit messages
(include the issue number, explain why a revert is happening, etc.).
We are a team here.

Anyway I think these set of tests (spawned out of TestRealTimeGet) are awesome.

Mike McCandless

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message