lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] define what/when a 4.0-beta should be
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2012 17:25:27 GMT
I thought you might be pressing for a final release sooner rather than later, so mid August
is my plea for the soonest date. I can take advantage of more time for sure. At the same time,
I'm hoping we release by the end of the summer - but I thought you were in a larger hurry
than me. I'd be even more ready at the end of august then the middle of it.

I don't mind either of your two options.

I'd be fine with dropping a beta that hits start of august or sooner, or just working towards
4 at the end of august. I don't have any strong feelings about that - I just vote we do final
release mid august *earliest*.

- Mark

On Jul 24, 2012, at 12:22 PM, Robert Muir wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Lets get it out very soon and then perhaps it can be a short cycle and we can perhaps
even 4 in mid to late August?

> If I called a VOTE today on a beta I'm thinking the earliest we could
> get it out would be Aug 1, and we want some time (at least a few
> weeks) for people to try it out before then spinning out a final. On
> the other hand I don't want to delay this thing too much because 4.0
> has just taken forever.  And the alpha release seems to maybe have
> provided us with the feedback we need... do we need another iteration?
>
> So I see two choices:
> 1. skip beta and we just work towards a final release.
> 2. spin beta RC like, now, today, and plan on a final release in
> september/october at the earliest (I imagine once we start talking
> about "final" people are going to really want to get a few things
> cleaned up first)
>
> --
> lucidimagination.com

- Mark Miller