lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] define what/when a 4.0-beta should be
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2012 16:58:42 GMT
I vote for proceeding with the existing plan: alpha, beta at least one month later, final at
least one month later: roughly your #2, Robert.  Sticking to the plan seems worth the (potential)
extra month wait to me. - Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Muir [mailto:rcmuir@gmail.com] 
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 12:22 PM
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] define what/when a 4.0-beta should be

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Lets get it out very soon and then perhaps it can be a short cycle and we can perhaps
even 4 in mid to late August?
>

If I called a VOTE today on a beta I'm thinking the earliest we could
get it out would be Aug 1, and we want some time (at least a few
weeks) for people to try it out before then spinning out a final. On
the other hand I don't want to delay this thing too much because 4.0
has just taken forever.  And the alpha release seems to maybe have
provided us with the feedback we need... do we need another iteration?

So I see two choices:
1. skip beta and we just work towards a final release.
2. spin beta RC like, now, today, and plan on a final release in
september/october at the earliest (I imagine once we start talking
about "final" people are going to really want to get a few things
cleaned up first)

-- 
lucidimagination.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org

Mime
View raw message